Water the root , Enjoy the fruit
Yellow or dry leaves of a tree have more to do with its root, rather than its color, which is just an indication of need to water the roots. For a tree to flourish, to bear green leaves, with fruits, it’s the root that needs to be watered.
This is to say, put focus and care into your core every day and then the rest of the things will simply flourish and express itself.
At times, we are too busy in discussing and analyzing things at a very high level, trying to improve the color of the yellow leaves of the trees, by applying patches, thereby ignoring watering its root.
We are so obsessed with achieving better results every time, that ,metrics, processes and numbers become the focus of discussion in the organization. We keep on doing the same thing again and again, and expect different results, every time.
Measure more, measure accurately, implement jazzy-flashy processes with new fashioned terminologies of promises of skyrocketing results, make everyone occupied, and reduce cost at any cost!
And most of the times, you get the same results, or even worse.
You cannot be better if you keep doing things that gave you the same results.
You cannot solve problems; with the same thinking you created them.
How do you think out of the box, or destroy the box itself, and never be in it.
We all know subconsciously or consciously to a certain extent, what is the real thing that is stopping us to get what we want. Yet we focus on improving the color of the leaves, applying patches, quick fixes,.
Here are some of the things,I believe, are watering the tree of Product Development that bear the fruits of success.
- Focus on automated unit tests and refactoring the code every time you see an improvement opportunity, quality will take care of itself.
- Focus on having open, honest and professional discussions with customers; trusted partnership will take care of itself.
- Promote culture of failing fast and encourage making mistakes, time to market and innovation will take care of itself.
- Implement the DNA of Value Flow into the organization, and cost will take care of itself.
- Focus on respecting and improving skills of the people in your organization, the results will take care of itself
- Destroy the cubicles , both physically and mentally, and the waste will have a tough time to find a place.
- Focus on building great teams; and great products will take care of itself.